Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A writer's job

I'm having a hard time believing it's September already. Summer is gone, but it probably wasn't a break for many writers. Like many writers I know, I only took off a few days during the summer months and will work right up until the day before Thanksgiving. Why do I work so much? Because I make writing a priority--every day.

Writing isn't a traditional job. You've got to be able to work on the fly, motivate yourself and be your own tough-as-nails boss. I write because I don't want a boss. Being my own boss is the best reward for the work I do all year long. I never longed for office gossip, New Years parties or sitting in a cubicle. The view of squirrels in my backyard and the tunes from my iPod are the way I love to work.

So, what about you? Why are you motivated to be a writer?

1 comment:

Jessica Ferguson said...

"You've got to be able to work on the fly, motivate yourself and be your own tough-as-nails boss."


I really like this quote, Jessica. I might have to use it on my personal blog. :) I'll give you full credit 'cause it's a good one.