Friday, September 21, 2007

How Much Do I Tell?

In writing memoirs, whether for publication or posterity, most people will get to a point of wondering whether or not they should “tell all.” Only you can answer that question for yourself, but here are some questions that might help you decide how much to tell.

Are my feelings about this event still raw or have I worked through them successfully?
Will I help others by sharing my story?
Will I hurt others by sharing my story?
Am I writing to “get even” with someone?
Am I writing to get sympathy from others?
What is to be gained by writing about this event?
What do I stand to lose by writing about this event?

In his book Prodigal Song, a Memoir, gifted song-writer and musician James Eugene Robinson writes about his difficult childhood and down-spiralling life with drugs as an adult. It’s not a pretty picture, but Jim writes to help others understand that there is hope, no matter how low you fall. In addition to his work as a musician, he also works as a professional Recovery Counselor. His clients know he’s already walked the road they walk.

Can your story help others move beyond their present state to where they want to be? Learning to write your own story could impact other lives as well as your own.

Anita C. LeeWriter, Speaker, Personal Life Coach
Instructor for "Your Life, Your Story"
www.AnitaCLee.com

No comments: