Monday, September 17, 2007

The Ten Commandments of Grammar

Since I've never been one to worry about whether what I am doing here is really appropriate or not, I thought I would not worry about it now and post something that I ran across tonight. It is something that I used long ago in a class (and in fact, I am not even sure if I wrote it myself or if it is borrowed/stolen—so if it is stolen, please forgive me).

The Ten Commandments of Grammar
(Thou shall not commit the sins below when writing!)

  1. Subject-verb agreement are problematic.

  2. Avoid run-on sentences they are hard to read.

  3. Comma splices are likewise troublesome, however, they can be corrected easily.

  4. Just like sentence fragments.

  5. Being bad grammar, a writer should not use dangling modifiers.

  6. If your verb tenses agreed, you are writing a good sentence.

  7. To mix metaphors is to tread lightly on dangerous waters. Also, avoid cliches like the plague.

  8. Eschew obfuscation.

  9. Proofreading is important to spot misspellings, and to ensure that did not leave any out.

  10. It don’t make no difference where you put your prepositions at.

No comments: