Friday, August 17, 2007

Are You Writing?

Today could be the first day of your writing life. :) Here in my neck of the woods, kids are starting school so there are moms who have writing time on their hands. What about you dads? No matter if you're a guy or gal, we all wrestle with managing our time.

My first novel was written for an independent studies class at Stephen F. Austin University. I was supposed to meet with my instructor periodically so he could gage my progress, but being the procrastinator that I was (and still am) I put it off. The day before my project was due, I sat in my one room apartment writing like crazy. To be considered a full size novel, my manuscript had to be no less than 200 pages. I stayed up all night pulling my book together, and made a B+. I don't advise writing that way. Needless to say, What's A Girl Like You. . .? was never published.

My second book--the one I sold to Silhouette Romance-- was planned out and written daily during the wee hours of the morning. I'd get up at 5 am, get my husband off to work, sit down and write awhile, then get my daughter up for school, then I'd sit down and write some more.

If there's one lesson I've learned well, it's that we all do what's important to us. We make time for things we truly care about. How important is your writing? It shouldn't be more important than your loved ones, but it should be important. If you say you want to write more than anything in this world, then I'll have to say - prove it. Write!. Meet with other writers. Read writing books and join us here . Let us help and encourage you along the way.

Soon many of our instructors will begin posting their thoughts and tips, sharing how they got into this writing business. All your questions and suggestions are welcome.

Oh yeah, and those of you within driving distance of Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, watch for more information regarding our Writer's Lunch Bunch.

Thanks Richard! :) What fun. ~jess

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

1 comment:

Jessica Burkhart said...

Great post! If only more people realized that you have to absolutely make writing a priority. Treat it like the best job in the world and the results will be fantastic. :)