Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Meet Kent Conwell - Writing The Novel


Meet my good friend, Kent Conwell, author of The Tony Boudreaux mystery series by Avalon Books and numerous westerns. If you have an interest in learning how to write novels, Kent can help. His class is as follows:

Writing the Novel - Kent Conwell
October 6 - Nov. 10
6:00 - 8:00
ON CAMPUS


How did you get started writing?
Always wanted to, but being a country hick, I didn’t know how to go about it. I read constantly. When I was in the third grade, I loved Red Ryder. I could read one of his books in a single day. Then came college and English Literature. Over the next few years, I wrote a couple bad, bad novels, and then life got in the way. It wasn’t until ’71 I wrote another. Still have it, Kronk. One of these days, it’ll sell, but like Robby Robison, the agent said, it is probably too brutal for some of these young sensitive editors.

What is your writing schedule like?
Everyday, as long as I can manage. Sometimes thirty minutes, but on the average of two or three hours—or ten pages.

How long does it take for you to start and finish a book?
I can do a first draft of a western in four to six weeks. That’s with doing what experienced writers tell the inexperienced never to do. I write ten pages a day, then next session, I go back over them. This not only keeps the story straight, but permits rewriting. After the first draft, I put it aside and start a first draft of a mystery. When I finish it, I work on the western. Back and forth.

Do you do much research?
Constantly. I know I’m doing a western and mystery, so I make sure to read both fiction and non-fiction in those areas.

What's your favorite part of writing-the plotting, rewriting, etc.
It’s all enjoyable, plotting because of the twists I can put in; rewriting because that is when you can polish your words, put them together in such a manner as to elicit various reactions from readers.

How do you plot your stories?
Along with a premise, I like to know where I am at the beginning and at the end. I try to follow the precept of H. Bedford-Jones, king of the pulps back in the 20’s and 30’s. “Get your hero in danger and keep him in danger.” I usually have an outline, but it is more of a device to make me think in the beginning rather than a rigid guide.

What's the most difficult part of writing for you?
At first, it was the discipline—making myself plop in front of the typewriter, then computer, but after a few years of forcing myself to start each day, it becomes such a habit that I experience a surge of guilt if I don’t.

You've critiqued others and judged contests, what do you see as mistakes beginning writers make?
Don’t read enough; don’t spend enough time; don’t study the markets; don’t follow guidelines; don’t try to be themselves.

What word of advice would you give beginning writers?
Like Hemingway is purported to have said at a college commencement, “go home and write.” If you want to write, write. It must be almost like a holy mission, like the mythical pursuit of the Holy Grail. Next, be yourself. Don’t copy successful writers. Oh, read them, certainly, but then write your story the way you want.

Is it important for writers to be readers?
Essential! Writing without having read copiously is like a mechanic trying to rebuilt an automobile engine through the muffler.

Who are some of your favorite authors and why?
I grew up on pulps, then along came Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck—they all seemed to capture the core of the human existence. They’re all my favorites as are every mystery writer I can get my hands on. I read theirs, compare to mine, sometimes ridicule them, sometimes marvel at their techniques or flashes of insight. As far as westerns, I’ve read them all. I do have a favorite. I’ll buy everyone of his books I can. Elmer Kelton.

Are you a member of any writers groups and why is it important to "hang out" with other writers?
Golden Triangle Writer’s Guild, Western Writers of America, and Mystery Writers of America. Associating with other writers provides excellent support, but every writer will reach his epiphany that what he does, he must do himself. Conferences are a natural contact place for editors and agents.

What do you want the students who take your novel writing course to learn?
There is no deep, dark secret to writing a novel. It is simply a logical sequence of steps to a conclusion. At the completion of the course, each student will have a premise, a beginning and an end. All he has to do then is fill in the middle by following Bedford-Jones’ advice, “put the hero in danger and keep him in danger.”

To read another interview by Kent Conwell, or to check out his publisher’s website, click on http://www.avalonbooks.com/aa_archives/c0500_k_conwell.html


Be sure to look for Kent's latest mystery: The Crystal Skull Murders-
A Tony Boudreaux Mystery

No comments: