Thursday, October 11, 2007

Double and Triple Check your Manuscript

In my last post I included a cute snippet showing how what our eye sees on the paper is translated by our mind into what should have been written. Another thing to check before submitting a manuscript is all the facts: names, dates and contact information that will appear in your article.

Even after twenty years of writing for magazines, I still faithfully follow this advice. For the article with the cute camel lead that I blogged about I double and triple checked everything, especially the difficult spelling of the subject's last name. So, when I recevied an email from the people on the day the article came out, I eagerly opened it and expected to read the usual accolades for a job well done.

For the first time in my writing career the person was very upset -- I'd spelled her name wrong. Not the complex last name... I'd triple checked that. I'd spelled her first name wrong. Actually, it was worse than that. The name was spelled correctly. I'd just used the wrong name!

So, another lesson learned... the hard way. In my course, I'll teach you other ways to proof read your manuscripts so you can avoid embarassing mistakes when you submit your work.

Carol R. Thomas - Write Magazine Articles That Sell!

No comments: